Swedish Cardamom Christmas Cookies
- 2 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 2 t ground cardamom
- 1/4 t fine salt
- 1 c unsalted butter, (2 sticks), at room temperature
- 1 c confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 T pure vanilla extract
- 1 t finely grated lemon zest
- Colored sanding sugars or chopped toasted pecan
- Whisk the flour, cardamom, and salt in a bowl.
- Put the butter and confectioners' sugar in a food processor, and process until smooth.
- Pulse in the egg, vanilla, and lemon zest until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and process to make a soft buttery dough.
- Divide dough in half onto 2 (12-inch long) sheets of plastic wrap, using the plastic, shape into rough logs.
- Refrigerate the dough logs for 30 minutes until just firm enough to shape into uniform logs, 8-inches long by 2-inches in diameter.
- Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Scatter either the sanding sugars or toasted nuts on a work surface and roll the logs until completely coated.
- Cut into 1/4-inch thick cookies and space about 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake until golden around the edges, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool cookies on the pan on wire racks.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.